guides &
Read my experience
Ruth for Find a Nursing Home
Continuing care
home advice Industry useful contacts
useful contacts



Please bear in mind that this is only a guide and whilst Find-a-nursinghome have taken every effort to make it as comprehensive as possible, please do try to talk to other bodies for their advice and recommendations.

  • Abbeyfield: helps older people enjoy a high quality of independent living provided through a range of services, including housing, support or care, with local community involvement
  • Tel: 01727 857536 or
  • Age Concern: the UK's largest organisation working with and for older people
  • Tel: 0800 00 99 66 or
  • Alzheimer's Society: a leading care and research charity for people with dementia and those who care for them
  • Tel: 0845 300 0336 or
  • Association of Retirement Housing Managers: promotes good practice in the management of leasehold residential properties which are specifically designed and designated for retired older people
  • Tel: 020 7463 0660 or
  • Care Quality Commission: regulates, inspects and reviews all adult social care services in the public, private and voluntary sectors in England
  • Tel: 03000 616161 or
    In Wales the role of the CQC is fulfilled by the Care Standards Inspectorate for Wales ( In Northern Ireland, the role is carried out by the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (
  • Citizens Advice Bureau: for details and advice on care in your own home visit their website
  • Contact the Elderly: helps people aged 75 or older who are lonely, live at home on their own and are unable to easily get out of the house unaided
  • Tel: 020 7240 0630 or
  • Counsel and Care For the Elderly: a charity that gives advice and information to older people, their relatives and carers on community care, care homes and housing with care
  • Tel: 0845 300 7585 or
  • Department of Health: provides health and social care policy, guidance and publications
  • Directgov: the website of the UK government that provides information and online services for the public all in one place
  • Elderly Accommodation Counsel: provides advice on elderly care, including specialist information on sheltered housing, extra care housing, assisted living, close care housing and retirement villages
  • Tel: 020 7820 1343 or
  • English Community Care Association: the largest representative body for community care in England that works to create an environment in which providers can continue to deliver and develop high quality care
  • Tel: 08450 577 677 or
  • General Social Care Council: the Government has announced that soon all people who work with vulnerable adults will have to be registered with the GSCC. This will not only ensure that those that work with older people have been assessed as trained and fit to be in the workforce, but that they can be held to account for their conduct by codes of practice
  • Help the Aged: an international charity that fights to secure and uphold the rights of disadvantaged older people in the UK and overseas
  • Home Heat Helpline: a free service that helps people who are worried about paying their energy bills and keeping warm
  • Tel: 0800 336699 or
  • Homeshare International: a charity that promotes the exchange of housing for help in the home
  • Independent Age: helps older people to live with independence and dignity in their later years
  • Independent Living Fund: If you are severely disabled and you receive home care services and you are between 16 and 66 years of age, you may be entitled to help
  • Independent Safeguarding Authority: any person wishing to work with vulnerable adults in England and Wales should apply for registration
  • Local Government Association: promotes the interests of English and Welsh local authorities
  • MS Society: The UK’s largest charity for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Tel: 0808 800 8000 or
  • National Association for Providers of Activities for Older People (NAPA): an organization that works to increase the profile and understanding of the activity needs for older people, and equips staff with the skills to enable older people to enjoy a range of activity whilst living in care
  • National Care Forum: promotes quality care through the not-for-profit sector
  • Registered Nursing Home Association: campaigns strongly for high standards in nursing home care and provides a list of registered nursing homes
  • Tel: 0121 451 1088 or visit
  • Residential & Domiciliary Care Benchmarking (RDB): provides independent assessment of care quality with a star rating system
  • Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care: ensures that care service providers meet the Scottish Government's National Care Standards and work to improve the quality of care
  • Tel 0845 603 0890 or
  • Skills For Care: works with social care employers to establish the necessary standards and qualifications that equip social care workers with the skills needed to deliver an improved standard of care
  • Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE): established by the Government in 2001 to improve social care services for adults and children throughout the United Kingdom
  • Turn2us: a charity established to help people access money available to them through benefits and grants
  • Tel: 0808 802 2000 or
  • United Kingdom Home Care Association (UKHCA) is the body that was set up to promote the best possible standard of home care provision to older people
  • Tel: 020 8288 5291 or
  • Vitalise Homeshare: a national charity for disabled people, visually impaired people, and carers